11 September 2014

THE LEGENDS OF...

I'm almost always writing a story, usually something to do with the supernatural. In other words, I do a lot of research. In fact, I spend most my time researching than I do writing. I also do a lot of thinking. If I can't picture or believe in what I'm writing, its quite obvious neither will the reader. So, lets just say I daydream a lot and leave it at that.

Over the years, I've come across quite a few interesting myths and legends that I would now like to share with you all. More recently though, I came across a Hawaiian legend. I was so fascinated with it that I wanted to write a story based on it. But then I remembered how many pending stories I had already to work on and smartly decided against it.

The Legend of the Nightmarchers

What are Nightmarchers?
Nightmarchers are the ghost of ancient Hawaiian warriors. 
Some say they are spirits being guided to places unknown to us or to welcome new warriors to join in battle. While others say they are restless souls looking to reclaim their rightful territory, replay a battle gone awry, or avenge their own deaths. They march at sunset and just before sunrise. Anyone near their path may hear chanting and drum beating. It is also said they're clothed in decorated helmets and cloaks. 

When do the Nightmarchers come forth?
On the nights of Kane, Ku, Lono, Akua and Kaloa 

Where do they rise from?
Their burial sites.

How can one protect themselves from a Nightmarcher?
It is said that if you place the leaves of Ti, which is Cordyline fruticosa, an evergreen flowering plant in the Asparagus family, it will keep away all evil spirits. Also if you are in the Nightmarchers' bloodline, no harm will come to you.


The Legend of the Loup Garou

Now, I'm sure a lot of people haven't heard of this legend. In fact, if it wasn't for my parents, I, too wouldn't have known about it. Its a French legend of a human changing into a wolf at their own will. It is similar to the concept of a werewolf I suppose, except for the fact that its not affected in any way by the full moon. Also it looks more like a giant black cat, with beastly features than an actual wolf. 

The Legend of the Loup Garou hit Mauritius in the 90's. They called it Touni Minuit, which is translated as Naked Midnight in English. I think every kid in Mauritius grew up listening to the legend as told by their elders. While some people are skeptic about the legend, many who lived through the ordeal claimed that it really did happen. 

Although the creature never actually caused harm to anyone, it did however scare a lot of people. It broke into homes, smashing anything in sight. Many believed it was an evil spirit. An act of witchcraft.

There's not much online about this legend, just a few but most of them are written in French. But do have a look around and if you find anything detailed, please do let me know. 

All the information I've provided above related to the Loup Garou legend comes from people who was present during the time it struck in the 90's.


If you know of a myth or legend you think is unique, please do share.

No comments:

Post a Comment